1. Visit the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College eMuseum permanent collection.
2. View the collections and select a work of art. This exercise works with any work of art.
3. Download one of the fillable exercise templates:
4. Once you have your template ready:
- Look carefully at your selected work of art
- List at least 10 things that you notice in the “I see…” category (shapes, colors, lines, images, etc.)
- Based on what you noticed, list 5 things those observations made you think about
- Finally, list what you are now wondering
Educators at the FAC Museum use this exercise with groups at the museum to help them develop questions as a result of visual observations and interpretations. We have provided additional instructions below to encourage inquiry with your students through various texts:
- I See, I Think, I Wonder Instructions for Teachers
- Yo Veo, Yo Creo, Me Pregunto Instrucciones para los Maestros
Possible questions for your students following the exercise:
- How have our observations impacted how we experience the work?
- How can we connect the process See, Think, Wonder or this artwork to what we’re learning in class?
- How can we connect this process or artwork to our lives?
This activity has been adapted from the Artful Thinking Program at Harvard’s Project Zero.