Creative Collaborations from Isolation
Nine projects will be funded in the amount of $3,000 per project. Funds awarded will be inclusive and project teams will decide how to divide them accordingly. In the future there may be an opportunity to apply for additional funding to adapt these digital projects into physical experiences at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.
At the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center and Performing Arts at Colorado College launched 3×3 Projects: Creative Collaborations from Isolation. The results were seven divergent and diverse explorations of our collective experience created by dozens of artists from our region. Building on these endeavors, we are pleased to announce round two: 3×3 Projects: More Creative Collaborations from Isolation.
While we continue to navigate the shifting day-to-day landscapes of health, social justice, and equity, there are stories that remain to be told—about our past and about our present. With this in mind, we again invite artists of the Rocky Mountain West and American Southwest to pitch a collaborative, multidisciplinary digital project to premiere on the FAC website this summer.
Proposals must be submitted through the form at the bottom of this page and are due by midnight on Friday, March 5, 2021. As a part of the proposal, prospective 3×3 creative teams should also consider how their project might materialize outside of the digital realm at some point in the future. Projects need not be specifically video-based, but all selected artists will be required to engage through video as part of the promotion of their completed project. This might take the form of a video interview or a live virtual conversation.
We do not want to put boundaries on your creativity, but we also know that innovation thrives under constraint. In addition to the fact that collaborators must work remotely, we request that projects:
- Involve three or more individuals, each working in different creative arenas*
- Draw inspiration from or tell a story about our region (Rocky Mountain West and the American Southwest)
- Culminate in a digital/virtual experience lasting between 5–10 minutes
- Be completed and ready for premiere in summer 2021 (June–August)
*This could be, for example, three visual artists working in different mediums, or three artists from different disciplines.
For inspiration, we invite you to:
- Peruse items from the permanent collection of the FAC, which showcases the rich history and vibrant contemporary cultures of the Southwest and the Americas
- Consider how art navigates the spaces that exist between people, confronts the inequities that emerge, and examines the power structures that drive them; we welcome projects that challenge the mythology and romanticization of the American West/Southwest
- Reach out to one or more community arts organizations
Projects do not need to be about the present moment.
Support for the 3×3 Projects provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant for Southwest Arts and Culture, Performing Arts at Colorado College, and the Colorado College Cultural Attractions Fund.
Proposals will be evaluated by a panel composed of CC/FAC faculty, staff, and community members.
Please direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s a place outside our space to experience the arts: visual arts, performing arts, arts education and MORE, with new content added regularly.